Friday, 27 August 2010

Speech

This past week Emily had a early childhood services woman come assess her speech. It turns out that Emily is very delayed in her speech. We have a appointment with her doctor to try and arrange a full speech and language evaluation. Hopefully, she will be able to see a speech therapist. I keep thinking what did I do wrong? Did I not read enough to her? Did I not sing enough songs? Did I not talk to her enough? Did she watch too many Barney shows?

I have always thought that she had a speech delay, but it was hard for me to tell. She wasn't really around a bunch of kids her age in England. I started the process of getting her speech evaluated in England, but stopped after a friend who worked for EDIS told me that EDIS doesn't check for clarity until age 30 months. By the time Emily was at 30 months, we were leaving for Texas. I keep thinking I should have, I should have, I should have.

Now, I just need to research on some ways to help her at home.

3 comments:

  1. Missy you are a good mom and it has nothing to do with what you have or have not done. Some kids are slow to develop in some areas. With some help from Early Intervention, I bet in a year or so you will never know she had a delay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how it went. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Kate is right, all children are different, you know that! Before you know it Emily will be teaching mom a thing or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, you are a wonderful mom! There were many times I observed you with Emily at playgroup and thought, "Oh, I should try doing that." One time in particular was you singing Head Sholders Knees and Toes with her and she was loving it. And knew all the actions! I still can't get Jasmine to do the actions! Yet, she talks non stop. I think it's just individual kids developing in some areas at their own pace. I have another girlfriend here whose daughter is in speech therapy and it has been going great. I know it will for Emily too. Especially with folks like you and Jason! PS She looks so grown in her supermodel pictures! Such a doll!

    ReplyDelete