Thursday, 25 March 2010

Military Community

Today, I started to think about the new home we will have in Florida and possible new neighbors. I have always lived in neighbors were no one really knows each other. Everyone kept to themselves. Jason and I were always hesitant to move "on base." Jason thought he would still feel like he was at work by living on base. We were wrong. We absolutely loving living in a military community. Here are my reasons why:

1. Fantastic Neighbors. I can call a couple of my neighbors anytime. Whenever Emily and I are bored, we just walk across the street to play or talk. We have have street get togethers about one or twice a month. We all take turns babysitting each other kids. Whenever I am in need of a couple of eggs, one of my neighbors is always willing to share. We all help support each other especially when someone's spouse is deployed.

3. New House - Can you think of anything better than living in a brand stinking new house and not paying rent, electricity, gas, or water? Self-Help store will give you flowers, light bulbs, salt (for our dishwasher...water is super hard here), potting soil, and more for free b/c you live in a base house. Plus...a maintenance repair man is only a phone call away and there is never a bill.

4. Parks - Our neighborhood has over five parks within walking distance plus a basketball court. There is one park especially designed for children from 2-5 years, which is our favorite.

5. Safety - We just feel safer here. We still lock our doors, but I am never fearful that my has will be broken into like some of my friends have experienced living in England.

6. Drive to Work - Jason's drive to work is about 5 minutes and saves tons on gas.

I have truly loved living on base this last year and a half in England. I hope our next neighbour hood in Florida is just as great.

:) Missy

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! If we ever live in the UK again, I would love to live on base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Kate...if Lakenheath ever comes up on the assignment list again, I'll totally live on base!!

    ReplyDelete